Sustainability at the FIDI Conference
We are all responsible for creating a more sustainable future. FIDI is trying to mitigate the negative impact of its activities on the environment where possible. Please read below our sustainability pledge and what we are trying to do to make the FIDI Conference as sustainable as possible.
Thank you to our Sustainability Sponsor, Reason Global, for supporting FIDI in its efforts to make the 2024 FIDI Conference more environmentally responsible!
As a global membership organisation, we at FIDI Global Alliance acknowledge our own responsibility towards greater sustainability. This means changing the way we have done things in the past, one step at a time. We also recognize that this is an ongoing, long-term effort, and that we will make mistakes along the way.
The annual FIDI Conference is FIDI’s flagship event, a key moment in our community’s calendar. However, as an international event with attendees joining from across the world, our conference’s carbon footprint is substantial.
As part of FIDI’s commitment towards greater environmental sustainability, we commit to making the 2024 FIDI Conference as environmentally sustainable as we can. To achieve this, we are working closely with our partners, sponsors and the conference hotel and venues to make our event as sustainable as possible. We kindly ask you to help us in our efforts by following some sustainability best practices during your stay in Edinburgh.
Below you can find some of the key actions we are planning to implement:
CARBON FOOTPRINT OFFSET
“Carbon offsetting” allows individuals and organizations to compensate for unavoidable CO2 emissions by supporting verified projects that reduce emissions somewhere else.
To compensate part of our FIDI Conference’s carbon footprint, we offer the possibility for each attendee to purchase a 10 EUR “sustainability ticket”. FIDI will match each voluntary contribution (i.e. FIDI will pay an extra 10 EUR for each “sustainability ticket” purchased). The collected funds will go to a project from the United Nations Carbon Offset Platform.
The 2024 FIDI Conference is taking place at the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, Edinburgh. The hotel has signed up to the Race for Zero challenge, with long-term science-based targets to o become net-zero by 2050.
The hotel’s aim by 2025 is to:
• Water: Reduce water intensity by 15%
• Carbon: Reduce carbon intensity by 30%
• Waste: Reduce waste to landfill by 45%
• Food waste: Reduce by 50%
• Renewable energy: Achieve a minimum of 30% renewable electricity use
• Produce: Responsibly source 95% of its food
• Local sourcing: 50% of all produce by spend
For further information click here
REDUCING THE IMPACT OF OUR MEALS
What we eat has a big impact on the environment. Reducing our consumption of certain types of foods [for phrase "reducing... foods", insert hyperlink: https://ourworldindata.org/food-choice-vs-eating-local] (like red meat) can help us reduce our carbon footprint. That is why we are working closely with our providers to offer you, where possible, a selection of meals prepared with locally sourced and environmentally conscious ingredients. We will also do a "meatless Monday" lunch buffet and provide a larger selection of vegetarian options throughout the conference.
At registration, you will receive a sustainable water bottle. Water fountains will be available throughout the conference area, so no need for you to buy single-use plastic bottles to keep hydrated!
2024 FIDI CONFERENCE ON-SITE PROMOTIONS & INFORMATION MATERIAL
• Where possible, we will use paperless technology and avoid paper print-outs. The 2024 FIDI Conference programme, attendees list, etc. will be exclusively available via the 2024 FIDI Conference app and website.
• We will try to source the most environmentally respectful option for any printed material and assets.
• We encourage our sponsors to also distribute their promotional material in a paperless manner and/or on recycled paper where possible.
• Where possible, we will re-use assets from previous conferences, such as roll-ups, lanyards and brochures.
• Our attendee badges will be printed on biodegradable material.
IF YOU ARE ATTENDING THE 2024 FIDI CONFERENCE, WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP REDUCE THE ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT OF THE EVENT?
• Try to find the most efficient transportation option to the conference location, and when possible, walk or use public transportation during the 2024 FIDI Conference
• Participate in the 2024 FIDI Conference carbon offsetting project by purchasing the voluntary “sustainability ticket” for 10 EUR per attendee. FIDI will match each voluntary contribution.
• Where possible, avoid using printed promotional material, business cards or plastic gifts for your fellow attendees – try finding digital or environmentally friendly alternatives!
• Even if you are not a vegetarian, challenge yourself to eat less meat - you will find that most restaurants in Edinburgh have many excellent vegetarian (and even vegan) options on offer!
• During your stay at the hotel, follow basic environmentally conscious best practices, for example: reuse your towels and decline housekeeping for the duration of your stay; avoid wasting water unnecessarily; switch off the air-conditioning (and the lights!) when you leave your room; etc.
• Where possible, avoid using plastic bottles or single-use plastic cups or containers.
• If you – as an individual or in your company – follow specific or innovative environmental best practices, share them with us and your fellow attendees. Lead by example and share your experience!
• If during the 2024 FIDI Conference you notice something that we could do better or if you have ideas on how we could improve our event’s environmental impact, please let us know at email@example.com
We are only at the start of our journey to reduce the FIDI Conference’s environmental impact. We will make mistakes along the way – but we promise to try our best. Please help us to make our conference a truly environmentally responsible event. By making small changes and taking responsibility for our actions together, we can make an impact.